Thursday, June 21, 2007

Trail Time by Brad

Last Friday I managed to cut out of work early and get a really quick ride in before heading home. I headed up to a great trail system just north of Morrison along C470. There are a few great trails all tied in together right at this location. Green Mountain, Zorro, Dakota Ridge and Redrocks/Mathews Winters. I opted to hit Zorro and Dakota Ridge (my Nemisis).

Zorro is a great really short trail affording killer views of Denver Metro from the Hogback. The trail begins from the west parking lot for Green Mountain and is a quick shot up the Hogback that then connects to Dakota Ridge.

Wonder why it's call Zorro?

Hogback splender.


Killer views of the Front Range!


The wild flowers were still in bloom and the Yuccas were going crazy.

Well groomed tight single track love. Hey, where did the trail go?


Great views of Green Mountain.

I have no idea why I ride Dakota Ridge. I hate Dakota Ridge with a passion. The last time I rode it I gave my self a nasty chain ring tattoo. The trail is off the charts difficult. The trail is so technical that you constantly have a feeling you are on the edge of killing yourself. The trail is all sharp rock with a very fine layer of loose sand/dirt making things extremely slippery. I did not get any pictures of the Dakota Ridge trail. I was too worried about staying in control instead of getting the perfect trail shots. Here are the only two I took from the end of Zorro and the begining of Dakota Ridge. These are the only tame areas of Dakota Ridge.
Don't let it fool you! The worst part is hidding in the trees.

Red Rocks is off to the right. Certain death, straight ahead.

Made it out alive and without too many scratches. I would love to say never again, but I know that would be a lie. Without challenges, life get boring. Great ride and even better views.